Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Fairytales

Concentration, Fixation
The radiant thick strands of glamorized hair
Splayed across delicate innocent shoulders
Of the transparent, translucent skin
Exposing weak bones said to be beautiful
Blue, green, yellow and pink gowns
Shape the squeezed waists
Accentuates the voluptuous aspects
Of an unreal unnatural being

Lengthy lean limbs,
The towering heights, the symmetry
Makes ourselves incomparable or defected
The only one recognizable and yet
Fatal flaw of these creatures
Seems to be their desperation
For a male or the lack there of

Now this infiltrates minds,
Infiltrated my young mind
Distorting my creativity…
My perception of what I may deem beautiful
Replacing it with society views
Or unworthy and unwarranted opinions on such topic

I now depict and question why ever since my sweet 16
I fixate on images that aren’t real
 rather impossible to achieve
spiraling me out of control
and can’t help but notice how ironically,

my opinion of beautiful aligns with Disney Princesses

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sarah, the opening two stanzas about the Disney princesses push into new descriptive territory for you. You focus on the details that show w/o telling. Then the shift happens, but it's not quite clear where. "Ourselves" seems the start, but really it feels like the 3rd stanza? And then the tone shifts. In part, you begin this w/ a third person description 'infiltrates young minds' that doesn't suggest your own, but then you acknowledge the more personal aspect. Clarifying and 'showing' more in the 2nd half might focus this poem. A fine start!

    ReplyDelete